I lost my SMTP AUTH, help!

Mark London mrl at psfc.mit.edu
Thu Jun 10 03:20:21 UTC 2004

I'm not sure if this is a CYRUS-SASL, Redhat, or SENDMAIL problem.

I had to upgrade from Redhat 9 to Redhat enterprise 3, which meant
wiping the disk.  I thought I brought everything over, but now
SENDMAIL doesn't advertise SMTP AUTH LOGIN or PLAIN capability.  If I
include DIGEST-MD5 & CRAM-MD5 in my trusted auth list in sendmail.mc,
those do get properly advertised by sendmail.  Any ideas?

I'm running sendmail 8.12.10 which I compiled, cyrus-sasl-2.1.15-3
from the redhat rpm:

sendmail -d0.1 -bv root | grep SASL
                 NAMED_BIND NETINET NETUNIX NEWDB PIPELINING SASLv2 SCANF

I'm running SASLAUTHD, with /etc/sysconfig/saslauthd being MECH=pam

# more /etc/pam.d/smtp
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth
account    required     pam_stack.so service=system-auth

My sendmail.mc has the usual garbage:

define(`confAUTH_OPTIONS', `A p y')dnl
TRUST_AUTH_MECH(`LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confAUTH_MECHANISMS', `LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
define(`confCACERT_PATH',`/usr/share/ssl/certs')
define(`confCACERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/ca-bundle.crt')
define(`confSERVER_CERT',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')
define(`confSERVER_KEY',`/usr/share/ssl/certs/sendmail.pem')

# more /usr/lib/sasl/Sendmail.conf
pwcheck_method: pam