Billionton USB2.0 card reader (nearly working, but not quite)

Toralf Lund toralf at procaptura.com
Mon Jun 14 08:22:44 UTC 2004

I'm trying to connect a Billionton USB2.0 card reader, with an SDcard
connected, into a machine running Red Hat 9. Seems like it very nearly
works - the USB device is visible in usbview etc., but I'm not actually
able to access the card data. Syslog messages are

Jun 14 10:12:50 indonesia kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:08.2-1,
assigned address 4
Jun 14 10:12:53 indonesia /etc/hotplug/usb.agent: Setup usb-storage for
USB product aec/3260/100
Jun 14 10:12:53 indonesia kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is
a disc in the drive.
Jun 14 10:12:53 indonesia devlabel: devlabel service started/restarted

on connection, and if I try to run 'updfstab', another

Jun 14 10:13:32 indonesia kernel: Device not ready.  Make sure there is
a disc in the drive.

But, there is a "disc in the drive" - in the form of an SDcard (like I
said.) Note that this is a reader supporting several different cards
(CompactFlash, MemoryStick and SmartMedia in addition to SD/MMC), though
- maybe this is confusing the system.

Does anyone know a way to get this unit up and running? Driver is
ehci-hcd, kernel version 2.4.20-31.9

- Toralf