Kernel panic

spchen at juno.com spchen at juno.com
Thu Jun 17 15:33:02 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am running RH 7.1. I could not boot my Linux system yesterday. The
following lines are the boot error messages:
    Warning: unable to open an initial console
    Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

I have tried the following things:
(1) Boot the system with the book disk.
(2) Boot the system as a single user.
        boot:linux single
(3) Boot the system with the installation disk
        Boot:linux rescue
    I got s shell prompt and my root partition is /dev/hda2. I invoked
    the following commands:
        sh-2.04#umount /dev/hda2
        sh-2.04#fsck /dev/hda2
        sh-2.04#exit
    I got a warning during fsck. WARNING: counldn't open /etc/fstab.
    No such file or directory.
(4) Upgrade to RH7.2. The following is the error message: One of more
    of the filesystems listed in the /etc/fstab of your Linux system
    are inconsistent and can not be moved. Please fix the partition and
    try to upgrade again.

None of the above works. I will appreciate if someone can help me.
Thanks.

Shi-Ping

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!