Router/Firewall Recommendation

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Tue Jun 22 03:04:25 UTC 2004

On Jun 21, 2004, at 10:51 PM, Alejandro Calbazana wrote:

> I was looking for some recommendations on using a standalone RH
> machine as a
> firewall.  Right now, I have an older Linksys router which I use as a
> standalone router for my broadband connection.  I was considering
> placing a
> firewall behind my router.  Other than being overly paranoid, I'd like
> to do
> this b/c i like the logging capability of iptables and iptables has
> much
> more flexibility as far as rules go.  The Linksys router simply routes,
> forwards, and does rudimentary logging.  My questions are:
>
> 1. Is the overkill from a home network?

Not if the Linksys only performs basic NAT/routing.  You'd be smart to
add an advanced filtering device.

> 2. Should I just use my linux box as a router AND a firewall and ditch
> the
> Linksys appliance all together?

If you're going to use the Linux firewall, the Linksys really is
unnecessary.  All it adds is an extra layer of
complexity/routing/failure.

> 3. If there is room for both, how might the router allow traffic to
> flow to
> the machine I designate as my firewall?

You'd end up with 2 layers of NAT translation.  Way unnecessary.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting