Inheriting group ownership under Red Hat Linux?

Carl Riches riches at ms.washington.edu
Wed Jun 23 23:35:02 UTC 2004

We are running into a problem that did not occur under our Unix systems:
inheriting group ownership on files.  The problem is that a file created
in a directory does not inherit the group ownership of the directory.
Rather it gets the group ownership of the user that created the file.

Under our other Unix systems, a file would get the group ownership of the
directory where it was created.

For example, let's say that there is directory:

    drwxrwxr-x    2 root     fugroup        4096 Jun  8 11:45 fubar/

Let's say that user "riches" creates a file in directory fubar/.  The
primary group for user "riches" is "staff", but that user also belongs
to "fugroup" and can write to the fubar/ directory.  The file created in
that directory is owned by "riches:staff", not "riches:fugroup".

This breaks some things, e.g. file sharing between a working group.

Does anyone know how to work around this?  That is, is this a known
problem or do we have some sort of configuration problem?

Thanks,
Carl

Carl G. Riches
Software Engineer
Department of Mathematics
Box 354350			voice:     206-543-5082 or 206-616-3636
University of Washington	fax:       206-543-0397
Seattle, WA  98195-4350		internet:  riches at ms.washington.edu