Router/Firewall Recommendation

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Thu Jun 24 13:02:44 UTC 2004

On Thursday 24 June 2004 03:14 am, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
<snip>
> Finally, re the cost factor: you buy N LBB devices for $40 each. I set up
> firewalls that generally cost me $0 each.

Here is what I still don't understand:
If I were to set up a linux firewall, I have to have at least 2 Nic cards, 1
to the internet (assuming using Nic, which's not necessaryly so since it
could be modem or anything), and the other 1 to the local network.

Well, then if I only had 1 machine behind the firewall, it's fine. But what if
I have 3 machines? Then I have to either have 4 Nic cards on the firewall, --
which cost like $20 per Nic, and my old p166 box not necessarily will have
enough PCI slots -- , or I have to put in a switch / router behind the
firewall, which cost about $40 for eg. 8 ports switch (rough estimate?). So
all in all, it's not $0. Or am I wrong ?

Thanks.
RDB

--
Reuben D. Budiardja