Wireless security

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri Jun 25 14:51:18 UTC 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, at 10:44 AM, Ed Wilts wrote:

> Although I have lots of security and network background experience, I'm
> a neophyte when it comes to wireless security.  I've got a Linksys
> 8-port router which serves my internal network, and I am in the process
> of integrating wireless into the mix.  I'd like to do this preferably
> without shooting myself in both feed. I've added a 4-port Linksys
> wired/wireless combo, a wireless USB interace for my TiVo, and I'm
> adding a laptop that will be some days be wired and some days be
> wireless.  Does anybody have a cheat sheet on what security features I
> need to turn on and how good they really are these days?  I've turned
> on MAC address restrictions but that's been it so far.

Layered security is key.  Check out my presentation from a
not-so-recent LUG:

http://www.calug.com/13aug03talk/80211b_security_20030813.sxi

In short, you'll want a combination of
encryption/authentication/filtering at multiple layers.  Examples would
include WEP (layer 2 encryption), EAP, IPSec (layer 3
encryption/authentication), MAC filtering, etc.  Hopefully this will
get you started, feel free to ping me off-list for more
information/questions.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting