Router/Firewall Recommendation

Otto Haliburton ottohaliburton at comcast.net
Fri Jun 25 15:04:16 UTC 2004

I don't particularly have respect for someone who decides to call someone
else a moron,  I lose respect for them very fast and any follower who thinks
that it is okay for them to disrespect someone because they are perceived to
have earned some badge of honor.  The guy maybe great, but I didn't endorse
wireless routers in my post, in fact I put them down, but he didn't read the
post carefully and opened his mouth and inserted foot.  Wireless networks
can be penetrated, but it is not trivial.  You need to know where it is and
come into range of the transmission limitations to start out with, you have
to be able to select that wireless network out of all of the ones that are
up and running.  Cell phones, for example can be compromised, but you don't
compromise them by selecting a particular phone, you select all transmission
and throw the ones away that you are not interested in, but you can do this
because they use a base station for transmissions.  Wireless networks are
very limited in their transmission range so you can't just say I'm going to
take your signal, you have to get close.  Someone mentioned directional
antennae, but two way radios have directional antennae and I can't talk to
someone in Germany with a two way radio.  So, to get respect you need to be
respectful, to get disrespect then open your mouth and call someone a moron.