Ethereal and routers question

Sergio Del Pino sdelp66 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 26 19:51:22 UTC 2004

I succesfully installed the Ethereal on a RH9. I would like to capture the
packets for the whole network , not just those coming and going to my eth1.
This RH9 is a desktop in the network and "not used as a router", then I'm
not sure if it's possible to sniff into the routers packets. The router is a
Linksys  Wireless-B Broadband Router BEFW11S4.
I think (not sure why) I'm capturing everything coming into the LAN but only
those packets going out from my eth1. This means I get :

192.168.1.100 <----> WAN

but only

LAN (192.168.1.xxx) <----- WAN

and  I would like to have from this desktop (I don't know how to do this on
the Linksys)

LAN (192.168.1.xxx) <-----> WAN

in order to capture all the packets.

My network map is something like this:

INTERNET

Dinamic public IP (WAN)
  | CISCO 677*|
       10.0.0.1 (LAN)

       10.0.0.2 (LAN?/Intenet?)
    | Linksys**|
    192.168.1.1 (LAN)

            |---192.168.1.100 (RH9 w/Ethereal)
            |---192.168.1.101
            |---192.168.1.102
            |---192.168.1.nnn

* DSL modem router using PPPoA
** router and wireless accespoint

any clue to use the ethereal to capture in/out Linksys packets?
Also I would like to have an advice if there is another way to configure
this devices (DSL modem router/ Wireless router) referring to ip lan side
numbering (10.0.0.1/10.0.0.2/192.168.1.1/192.168.1.nnn)

Thanks in advance,

Sergio