kernel architecture - how to find it out

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Mon Jun 28 17:51:28 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I made the mistake of trying to install a kernel from FC1 into an RHEL3
system (long story) - and in the process, the kernel from FC1
uninstalled the existing kernels on the system (oops). I am now trying
to reverse this process. I forced an uninstall the of the existing FC1
kernel, and then did "up2date --force kernel".

This process downloaded both the i686 and the athlon kernels (the
architecture is athlon), and then installed one of the kernels (it
didn't say which one).

I then ran "up2date --force kernel-unsupported" to get the extra modules
(I need reiserfs) which installed fine, but depmod started complaining
about symbol mismatches.

Symbol mismatches make me suspect that the kernel installed by up2date
is not the same kernel as the running kernel, even though the versions
are exactly the same.

The only things that I can see that could be different are the
architectures. If I use uname, it tells me that both i686 and athlon are
present - so the running kernel is definitely athlon.

But rpm -q -i kernel does not tell me which architecture was installed.

Is there a way of getting this information out of RPM? Surely up2date
should figure the architecture out automatically?

Regards,
Graham