Router/Firewall Recommendation

Ward William E DLDN wardwe at navseadn.navy.mil
Thu Jun 24 20:56:33 UTC 2004

And for $0, you can download IPCop and do the same with a
donated computer, which IS a hardware firewall; it's slightly
less "Fire and Forget", but it's also a world more powerful,
and a world more secure.  BTW, NAT as security is the same
security you get from using Microsoft Windows: Security by
Obscurity.  If you think that's the be all, end all, then
why are you on a Linux mailing list?

BTW, time to install an IPCop from Scratch: ~10 minutes.  Time
to reinstall, and reconfigure: ~10 minutes+15 seconds.  Time
to configure a Firewall Brick: ~10 minutes (sometimes more; some
of them are poorly configured, and require constant reboots of
teh brick everytime you change a setting).

Peace of Mind over having a REAL Firewall based on IPTables,
SQUID, SNORT, decent logging, etc., that I can configure to
exactly the way I need, complete with DMZ, if needed: Priceless.

Bill Ward