ssh -X

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Mon Mar 1 08:07:01 UTC 2004

On Saturday 28 February 2004 10:14 am, IT Clown wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using say pc A to ssh -X to connect to pc B.When i
> type startx x will load on B but i cannot see it running on
> A. How is it possible to have x show on pc A. ForwardAgent
> yes ForwardX11 yes is enabled in ssh_config on pc A and B.

"startx" will start an X server, not X application. As far as I understand,
you cannot export X server, you need to have that locally.
The command "ssh -X" will tell SSH to export X application.

So if you want to export X application from pc B to pc A, you need to have an
X server running on pc A so that the X application on pc B can connect to the
X server on pc A. Thus, you need to run the "startx" on pc A. Try this:

on pc A:
1. run "startx"
2. Open a console, "ssh -X" to pc B and login.
3. Now run an X apps, eg, "mozilla".
4. You will see that Mozilla is displayed locally on pc A, but it's actually
running from pc B.

What happens above is that you start an X server on pc A, and then connect an
X application (ie. mozilla) from pc B to pc A so that it got displayed on pc
A.

Hope that helps.
RDB

--