Disallow shell access but not sftp?

Salmons, Michael SalmonsM at missouri.edu
Tue Mar 2 14:51:32 UTC 2004

Hello,

Does anyone know how one might disallow a user to logon to a secure
shell but still allow them to make a secure login for ftp (sftp)? I want
this person to have ftp access but not, specifically, have the ability
to run passwd. I tried changing their shell to a variety of bogus
filenames (/dev/null, /bin/ftponly, both as an empty file and as a
symlink to /dev/null), and discovered at that point that sftp must allow
an ssh login to work. I can't block in hosts.deny or allow because this
user obtains an ip from the same dhcp pool we all do; denying by ip is
no good.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael Salmons