Problem installing PerlMagick

Richardson, Robert RRichardson at activision.com
Tue Mar 2 20:16:01 UTC 2004

Hello,
I have ImageMagick-5.4.7 installed on a RedHat 9 system.
I want to install PerlMagick for PHP purposes on this system.
I have tried installing PerlMagick via the steps below:
$ perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install J/JC/JCRISTY/PerlMagick-5.56.tar.gz
I get the following error message:
Magick.xs:8078: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
Magick.xs:8081: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
make: *** [Magick.o] Error 1
/usr/bin/make -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
cpan>

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is wrong?
Is my make file corrupted?
Presently, I am leaning toward upgrading make from the present
version of  3.79.1 to version 3.80.
Thanks,
Robert Richardson
Unix System Administrator