Cannot email

Timothy Stone citylists at petmystone.com
Thu Mar 4 08:51:01 UTC 2004

Harry Putnam wrote:

> "John Jacks" <mibsun at gibnynex.gi> writes:
>

>>Hi ;
>>I am trying to email from my redhat box .This is what is happening .
>>[root at root]# ps -aux | sendmail
>>Recipient names must be specified
>>[root at root]# telnet localhost 25
>>Trying 127.0.0.1...
>>telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused
>

> First .. looks like you are trying to use sendmail directly without
> supplying a `to' addressee.  `man sendmail' will guide you here:
>    sendmail [option ...] [recipient ...]
>
> You probably ought to just use the `mail' tool which calls sendmail
> properly if you supply a recipient:
>
>    ps waux|mail recipient
>
> or if you want a subject:
>
>    ps waux| mail -s "ps output" recipient
>
> Calling sendmail direct will work though if you give a recipient.
>
> Far as telnet goes... is sendmail even running?
> I get the same message as you posted if I turn sendmail off temporarily.
>
> Try as root:
>    service sendmail status
>
> You should see something like:
>   # service sendmail status
>    sendmail (pid 1142 1134) is running...

Harry's work here is much better. :) I don't play much with mail,
sendmail, etc. on my box. I did just yesterday for the first time to
prove a point to an admin, while we were admist a NetSky/Bagel.J watch,
that just stated to a curious user that said user should not open an
email stating authority over our email services unless it was "from" one
of us. I didn't think she knew it was so easy to forge email headers. As
easy as:

# /usr/sbin/sendmail -f theprez at whitehouse.gov redhat-list at redhat.com <
presMessage.txt

I digress.

Thanks Harry too for your earlier tip on bash aliases. :)

Tim