setuid login scripts as a shell

Harry Hoffman hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
Thu Mar 4 10:33:09 UTC 2004

Hi All,

I'm wondering if there is any way to have a setuid login script?

Here's what I'm attempting to do:

Have a user login via ssh to the system and when properly authenticated run the
setuid binary.

The binary runs fine if the user is already logged into a valid shell but if I
set the binary to be the login shell then sshd(pam_unix) complains that the user
is unknown:

Mar  4 10:14:12 n1-22 sshd(pam_unix)[5074]: check pass; user unknown
Mar  4 10:14:20 n1-22 sshd(pam_unix)[5074]: 1 more authentication failure;
logname= uid=0 euid=0 tty=NODEVssh ruser= rhost=MYOTHERHOST

My question is: Is there anyway around this?

I understand the potential danger of setuid programs but still need to get this
working :-)

Thanks,
Harry

--
Harry Hoffman
hhoffman at ip-solutions.net
radical:
1) Someone waiting in line to become "The Establishment"