The modem chicken and egg question.

Edward Dekkers edward at tripled.iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 8 19:54:00 UTC 2004

Roger Beever wrote:

> Sent on behalf of Janet who has just joined from the Linuxathome yahoo
> group and taken to plunge in trying RH9.
> Hi
>   We have a problem with a Motorola SM56 PCI Speakerphone.
> The wizard does not find it on the newly installed RH 9 system.
> We have found a drive on the Motorola site at
> http://www.motorola.com/softmodem/driver.htm via
> http://www.linmodems.org and since the system is dual boot I have
> recommended saving to floppy but I'm not sure of the exact steps from
> there. There are some short instructions but I'm not sure they will work
> if the RPM is on a floppy.
> Could someone please explain / expand on how to to get the RPM installed
> and the modem working.
> But please keep the steps Newbie sized.
> This will enable another member to join the Linux community and no doubt
> me to learn a bit as well.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Roger

Hey Roger, you can mount FAT floppies under Linux. I would make a folder
under /mnt called something like floppy or whatever, then run the command:

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

This works on my system here. When I then have a look at /mnt/floppy, I
can see all the FAT files.

Before you take the floppy back out, run:

umount /dev/fd0

to unmount the device.

For more information use:

man mount