kernel 2.6.3 install, lost nics and /dev/usb0

Paal Marker paal at barum.folkebibl.no
Tue Mar 9 03:03:00 UTC 2004

I have done my first change to new kernel. On a rh8 kernel 2.4.18-14
changed kernel to 2.6.3.  The box is working as firewall, nameserver,
sambaserver and dhcp server.

New kernel 2.6.3 boots ok,  but I lost several devices. Both nics and
printer wich was connected to /dev/usb0 are lost.  Booting the old
kernel gives no problem, and I have to run on that kernel for now. Both
nics and printer works fine with 2.4.18-14

To manually probe for the nics gives no result, these are both
3com905-tx nics.

For the printer concerned, I get the message that /dev/usb0 does not
excist.

As this is the first time I change kernel on any linux-system, I am a
little lost here.

Where do I start to solve this? Is what I experience here usually a
problem when changing to kernel 2.6.3?