Can't get X to start after installing new Video Card

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Tue Mar 9 20:51:07 UTC 2004

On March 9, 2004 12:03 pm, Dave Martini 1 wrote:
> I installed a new Video Card (ASUS V9520 DVI) in my RHEL WS 3.0 machine
> (Dell) and X won't start. It tried to autoconfigure the card right
> after I installed it but I get this error
>
> * ddcprobe returned bogus values:
> ID:   None
> Name: None
> HorizSync: None
> VertSync:  None
>
> Is  there a way to configrue this card manually? At this point
> I have to log in remotely because I don't get any login prompt
> at the console.
>
> I thought there was something called Xconfigurator but I did a find
> and it's not on my system.
>
> Thank You
> David Martini
> LLNL

Hi,
As James stated, you can use redhat-config-xfree86. Ther are several similar
commands that were introduced with RH8 to provide consistence whether you are
in KDE or GNOME. As root try "redhat-config- <hit tab twice>" to see a list
of all the new utilities. If you are accessing via ssh you should be able to
run any of these from your local desktop.

If you know what settings your card needs (what driver) you can (backup then)
edit /etc/X11/XF86Config.
--
Pete Nesbitt, rhce