[Fwd: The modem chicken and egg question? Newbie Alert!]

Pete Nesbitt pete at linux1.ca
Sun Mar 14 17:26:15 UTC 2004

On March 14, 2004 08:49 am, Roger Beever wrote:
> [...]

Hi,
Is the com port availble?
Try, as root:
setserial /dev/ttyS3

If should return something like:
/dev/ttyS3, UART:  16550A, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

If it is not enabled in hardware, it will show:
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3

If needed, you can use setserial to change i/o & irq to match your hardware
setings:
setserial /dev/ttyS3 port 0x02e8 irq 3
Have a look at "man seterial".

Hope that helps.