Fw: Red hat 9 stop without any response or alerts

Toby Schaefer toby-list at mail.nixa.k12.mo.us
Mon Mar 15 14:49:09 UTC 2004

-|> On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 18:02, Mohamed Sami wrote:
-|> > Hi every body
-|> >
-|> >     Are there any body can help me
-|> >
-|> >     My server stop and stop      and I can not do any thing for it
-|> >
-|> > If u can help please don't forget to do
-|>
-|> Did your problems start happening immediately after upgrading to RH9?
-|> Or was is sometime afterward?  Are you running the exact same load on
-|> the system?
-|>
-|> Could it be something as "simple" as a memory or power supply problem?
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|
-|Hi
-|
-|    I don't think that it is a hardware problem, That I have 2 identical
-|servers , and I switched the two hard disks between but the same problem
-|occurred.
-|
-|
-|
-|On the other hand the server was running with Redhat 8 very well without
-|any
-|problems, and after upgrading to RH9 it start stopping immediately, and i
-|make all the necessary updates to Redhat 9 but .... No way
-|
-|
-|
-|the server run with the same load for the last 5 months without any
-|changes
-|except the last upgrading from RH8 to RH9
-|
-|
-|
-|                I hope that I answered what u ask about and hope to solve
-|this problem
-|
-|
-|
-|                            M.S.H

We are having the same problem since installing amavisd and
clamd/spamassassin.  The mailserver in question has not been distro
upgraded, and is a 7.3 box with all security patches.  Once we install
amavisd and clamd/spamassassin we will get hard lockups that make us
physically power cycle the box (of course in a remote location that isn't on
a remote outlet).  There is nothing at all in log files that we can discern,
running top on a remote machine normally shows clam scanning during the
lockup, but with our message traffic, that is normally the case. We are now
running all our logs in debug mode and streaming them off that server
temporarily (the debug logs - security logs are always streamed...), but we
have not been able to discern the problem yet.

Moral of the story:  I think it's something with amavisd/spamassassin/clamd
and not the actual RH product.  Please let us know if you have found any
solution to this problem, as it is the only server instability we've had
with a linux box that wasn't related to hardware failure!

Cheers,

Toby