host file?

Ben Yau byau at cardcommerce.com
Tue Mar 16 21:41:59 UTC 2004

>  --- "redhat at nextnet.com" <redhat at nextnet.com>
> escribió: > Sorry, I am a Redhat and line command
> newbie:
> > I am receiving instructions from another person for
> > me to add a
> > nameserver ip to my machines host file. What file is
> > this exactly and
> > where is it located?
> >

> Your DNS are locate in /etc/resolv.conf.

What did you ask this other perosn for him to respond to you to add the
namesever ip to your machine hosts file?
Or what exactly are you tryin to do?

To add a nameserver ip to the hosts file would be  to add the ip/host for
your DNS into your /etc/hosts.   But as the prevoius poster pointed out,
most of hte time nameserver IPs go in the /etc/resolv.conf for your machine
to use for address/host resolutoin.

Ben Yau