CPU Designations

Will Mc Donald wmcdonald at ntlworld.com
Wed Mar 17 15:42:35 UTC 2004

286, 386 and 486 are, well, kinda what they say. Intel didn't start giving processors names until Pentium. Something to do with them no being able to copyright numbers as I recall.

The original Pentium and Pentium MMX CPUs are i586. As are AMD K6 and K6-2/3 and so on.

Pretty much everything from the Pentium II onwards (not counting x86 64bit CPUs, I have no idea what they'd be designated) is classed as i686. PII, PIII, P4, AMD K7 (Athlon, Thunderbird etc.) and so on.

If I remember correctly, the x86 designation is the instruction set the processor is compatable with. With higher generations generally being able to execute code compiled for previous generations?

Will.