Group ownership problem

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Wed Mar 24 19:40:03 UTC 2004

I've got multiple machines all authenticating via NIS from one machine.
All the machines recognize the users in a group called 'users'.  I see
an entry for this group in /etc/group on the NIS server, however I don't
see the entry on any of the NIS clients.

When I do an 'ls' on the home diretories on an NIS client, they all
recognize the home directories belonging to the group 'users'.

On one particular machine, the users can log on to, but the group
'users' isn't displayed.  The group ID of 100 is displayed instead.  I
can't figure out why this one machine doesn't recognize the group
properly.  Any help would be appreciated...

Ryan