Fail-over Server

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri Mar 26 20:19:12 UTC 2004

Start at http://www.linux-ha.org.

> 1. DHCP (maintaining current leases)

Can't really be done.  The leases will be lost.  The way it's typically
done is to have your lease pool split into two between the 2 servers so
that any given client can still get a new lease.  Set your timeouts to a
high enough value so that you can afford to lose your DHCP server for a
while.  We're running our office production DHCP server on a single
system (happens to be VMS but that's not relevant) and we haven't had a
serious incident yet.  We support several thousand desktops and printers
scattered throughout the world and it's been working fine.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org