enaBLE PCMCIA at startup

Reuben D. Budiardja techlist at voyager.phys.utk.edu
Sat Mar 27 17:29:16 UTC 2004

On Saturday 27 March 2004 10:12 am, Mike Buncic wrote:
> I have Red Hat 9 2.4.20-8, installed Pcmcia 3.2.7 on an old laptop
>
> the etc/init.d/ pcmcia start , does not work producing errors

what sort of error are you seeing?

> etc/rc.d/rc.pcmcia start , does work properly
> my question is it seems the first script runs at startup, how can I
> configure the system to use the second script at startup

Without knowing what caused the problem to the first place, if you want to
just run this, you can stick it in in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. That file is run
the last one, after all the init file is run.

> on a second note telnet server does not start at startup either, how can i
> configure it to do so?

You need to enable it in /etc/xinetd.d/telnet. Edit that file and replace
"disable = yes" with "disable = no".

If I may suggest you probably be better of with SSH. SSH server is installed
with Redhat, and it's more secure. There are good SSH client for Windows also
(ie. puTTY). Telnet is really insecure as every login information passed thru
the network as plain text.

To start SSH:
> service sshd start
Make it start automatically after boot