VPN and Virtual Desktop, How do I do?

Tomas Larsson ktl at bornet.net
Tue May 4 15:48:23 UTC 2004

Dear group.
The story is as follows.
I have two Win workstations (XP and W2K) at separate locations.
Both Workstations are connected to a lan and sits behind a RH9-box acting as
a firewall/router.
I'm using gShield IP-Tables script as firewall.
Both systems are working fine i.e. I can connect to internet, send and
receive mail etc.

What I need is to have both Win-boxes to talk to each other, syncronize
files etc.
What I understand is that I can use Remote Desktop to perform commands etc
on the remote box.
In order to do so, if I understand this correctly, I need to open relevant
ports in the firewall and forward them to respective box.
But what I can't understand is how to open a tunnel between the boxes so
they can connect directly, filesystem to filesystem and utilize shared
folders to syncronize and exchange data.
One of the boxes is always un-manned so everything needs to done from the
manned box, and that could be either of them.

With best regards

Tomas Larsson

Verus amicus est tamquam alter idem

All messages originating from me are scanned with the latest updates of
Norton Antivirus 2K3.