dual boot

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat May 8 03:26:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 08:17:59PM -0700, Todd Rickard wrote:
> I currently have Win2K Pro and Redhat 9.0 installed, I can uninstall the
> linux partions with out any problems, the problems comes when I go to
> reboot, and the Grub boot loader is still active.
>
> Is there a way to remove/reset, etc the boot loader so that it will boot
> straight into Windows?

Take a standard Windows boot floppy, boot from it, and enter:
C> FDISK /MBR

The MBR option is officially undocumented but there is documentation on
Microsoft's web site (go figure).  It rewrites the boot record but
doesn't do anything with any partitions.  FWIW, I just did this on a
live Linux system thereby rendering my system unbootable, and then
booted into a Linux rescue environment and rewrote the Grub MBR info.
Kinda cool.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org