samba vs CUPS printing issue

fredex fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu May 13 00:06:46 UTC 2004

Guys:

This is OT, forgive me, I'm kinda stuck here.

Running one of the free RHEL 3.0 clones (Tao, in this case) and am
having trouble figuring out how to print to a postscript printer (attached
to the linux box) which is shared via samba.

I've got it working from a WinXP system, but cannot get it working from
a Win98 box.

The Samba docs tell you (in painful detail) how to do it for Win NT/2K/XP,
but not for win9x, and the same procedures do not work.

Anybody done it, or know where there's docs for it?

(samba 3.0.2, and cups 1.1.17)

From the '98 box, I can set up the printer as if it were any other
ole printer, point it to the shared printer on the linux box (which
is browseable), install the MFG's printer driver, send it a test page.
Windows thinks everything is peachy, the busy light on the printer blinks
for a litle while, but nothing prints.