Printing - getting lpr service not available error

Keith Birchfield birchfld at waytec.com
Thu May 13 14:09:50 UTC 2004

Hello all,

I've tried to figure this out but I just can not.

I'm trying to fix a linux red hat 9 box that has stopped printing.

The printer is on the network and attached to a Windows 2000 computer.

It is shared

The linux box in question is one of five in the same room with basically
the same configuration.

All the other computers (3) are still printing ok.

This box DID print ok until recently.

The printer is connected via SMB using a valid windows user

The error is best described by giving the results of attempting a "CUPS
test page"
It states :

"There was a problem sending CUPS test page to 'ppe5000' queue:

lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable"

An example error from the operator is here :

"A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

/usr/bin/lpr -P 'ppe5000' '-#1' '/tmp/kde-bernard/kdeprint_RbhDEGD' :
execution failed with message:
lpr: unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable "

I've already tried :
1. Uninstall - reinstall of printer
2. restarting SMB service
3. clearing the existing print queue
4. using alternative printer name
5. using alternative user accounts
6. using two different ip based print servers
7. restarting cups

I'm still a novice administrator, so even though I have tried many
things, I'm sure I've missed something obvious.

Here is a log where I tried to get help at expert exchange, but no joy
:-(
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_Systems/Linux/Linux_Printing/Q
_20949259.html

Can anyone help me find and fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!
Keith Birchfield