mod_perl error: Can't locate object method "boot"

Gunnar Hjalmarsson noreply at gunnar.cc
Sat May 15 22:07:56 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> Gunnar Hjalmarsson wrote:
>> There are Apache/Log.pm files (not identical) both in
>> /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi and in
>> /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi. The
>> file that should be loaded is the one at the latter location. I
>> have no idea why things have been set up that way, but that's how
>> it is.
>>
>> What I did was loading a startup.pl file when starting the server
>> with the following line:
>>
>>   use lib '/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi';
>>
>> By doing so, that directory was made the first directory in @INC
>> when running a program under mod_perl, and the correct version of
>> Apache/Log.pm got loaded.
>
> Well, who put the other version into the site_perl location?

Probably I did. ;-)  Actually, before the RPM install, I made an
attempt to build mod_perl from source, but it failed since Apache had
not been built from source. Then my service provider advised me to
always try RPMs at first hand...

> Perl is set up, so site installs override vendor installs. Since
> the module in the vendor directory is working correctly, get rid of
> the one that doesn't work correctly.

Did that. (I moved a bunch of files, which I *believe* originate from
the failed installation attempt, to a temporary directory.) After
doing so, I could remove the extra line in startup.pl.

> Find out where it comes from. Run things like (but not limited to):
>
>   rpm -qf /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/Log.pm

Thanks for that tip.

> Maybe you've installed something from source some time before.

Yep. Even if it failed, some Apache files were obviously copied to the
site_perl location.

Thanks for your reply, Michael! You made me realize my stupid mistake.

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson