Webalizer

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Fri May 21 17:24:40 UTC 2004

From: "Donna Appleget" <donna.appleget at chattanoogastate.edu>
> When I try to access my http://www.mydomain.com/usage directory I get an
> error message:
>
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access /usage on this server.
>

> When I look at /var/www I see that the owner of usage is webalizer and
> the group is root.  Do I need to change the group to apache?  webalizer?
>
> When I go into the usage directory most of the files are listed as
> root:root (owner:group) except for webalizer.png and msfree.png which
> are listed as webalizer:root.
>
> Should I just go to /var/www/usage and change ownership to webalizer and
> the group to apache?
>
> I don't get it.

Webalizer stores its files in /var/www/usage, which is not a subdirectory of
/var/www/html.  So, in order to see http://my.domain.tld/usage, apache has
to be told where on the hard drive to find /usage.  This is done with a
configuration file.

When webalizer is installed, it creates /etc/httpd/conf.d/webalizer.conf.
When Apache starts it reads all of the files in /etc/httpd/conf.d that end
in .conf and then configures itself according to these files.

By default, /etc/httpd/conf.d/webalizer.conf only allows you to access these
statistics from the local machine, not from an external browser.  If you
absolutely must access the charts from an external brower, you can modify
the file and then do a "service httpd restart".

Ben