Bind ip alias

Mark Lowe mark.lowe at boxstuff.com
Sun May 23 19:32:06 UTC 2004

Hello

I've been struggling with this for a while now, and could really do
with someone telling be where I've been going wrong.

We have one server with 1 IP. I've made a number of IP aliases which
all works fine and dandy. I'm trying to map individual domain names to
a ip alias.

For example

$ttl 38400
@       IN      SOA     mainhost.maindomain.com.
root.mainhost.maindomain.com. (
                         1084742277
                         10800
                         3600
                         604800
                         38400 )
hosteddomain.com.     	IN     NS	ns.maindomain.com.
www.hosteddomain.com. IN     A       10.0.0.10
ftp.hosteddomain.com. 	IN     A       10.0.0.10
mail.hosteddomain.com 	IN	A	10.0.0.10
hosteddomain.com.     	IN     A       10.0.0.10

The problem is when I ping or traceroute to hosteddomain.com it gives
me the the aliased IP rather than the external one.

How to I get things so to the outside world hosteddomain.com is the
real ip and to the server its the aliased one?

The main reason I'm trying to get this working is so I can have an ssl
certificate for domains hosted on our webserver

<VirtualHost 10.0.0.10:80>
	ServerName www.hosteddomain.com
..

<VirtualHost 10.0.0.10:443>
	ServerName www.hosteddomain.com
	#Point to ssl cert and such like.
..

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be a great help

Cheers

Mark