help hardware question

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Sun May 23 22:55:25 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-24 at 06:06, hanfamily at earthlink.net wrote:
> Hi All,
> Last night my husband left his computer on during a storm. For some
> reason it didn't trip the surge controll when the power went down.
> Now it does not come up at all the cd and hardrive lights and the
> fan works. I don't get any boot not even bios. The monitor is still
> good as I switched it, so is the modem. Any ideas where to start
> to figure out what happened? (Not that it matters for this but
> it runs rh7.3 and is my gateway)
>                          Thanks
>                          Linda

1.) Unplug the power cable and take out the BIOS/CMOS batter for about
five minutes. Replace the battery and plug in the power cable. Try
booting.

2.) Unplug the HD(s), the CDROM and floppy - try booting - if
successful, then plug in first the floppy and try again - then if
successful, plug in the CDROM and try again - and if successful, try the
HD(s) and try again.

3.) Replace the video card and try again

4.) Replace the RAM and try again.

(That's how I do it for my customers)

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services