Apache 2.0.x on ES 2.1

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed May 26 18:20:37 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:09:55AM -0400, Hamilton, Andrew wrote:
> I never use a canned version of apache from Red Hat.  I think more important
> than trying to use a default version is to figure out what you really want
> the web server to do and compile it yourself.

With this attitude, the same applies to all services.  You may as well
throw Red Hat Enterprise Linux away and build your own distribution.
Why not throw away the Red Hat kernel, their installer, or even rpm?
Heck, with a few dozen tarballs you can do it all yourself, right?

Red Hat adds a lot of value to its Enterprise Linux distribution.  This
value includes support.  By building your own version of the
application, you've invalidated yourself from Red Hat's support for that
application.

> That way you get the options that YOU want not what someone else
> thinks you want.

And you get to support it yourself.  If it breaks, you get to keep both
pieces.  If security fixes come out, you get to go get the patches
yourself, test and build them.  If the fix is in a new version, you may
be forced to upgrade and break backwards compatibility.  Red Hat will
backport the fix to the old version - most developers don't do this for
things like Apache.

There are tradeoffs involved and your approach should not be taken
lightly whether the application is easy to compile or not.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org