Disk Mirror

Bill Clery bill at lyceumllc.com
Thu May 27 12:52:03 UTC 2004

The drives must be partitioned as "fd" Linux Raid Autodetect.  I'm not sure
you can convert the partition from what you have to "fd" without losing the
data.

I would set the new drive up as a RAID group by itself.  Copy all the data
from the existing drive to the new raid drive.  Then repartition the old
drive and synch it into the raid group.

The basics raid steps are:
 partition the new drives as "fd" also
 configure your /etc/raidtab file
 issue mkraid

You will need to unmount the raw partition (/dev/sda1) and mount the mirror
drive (/dev/md0).

Look in /usr/share/doc/raidtools for documentation and examples.  Also, the
man page for mkraid

Bill