"Cannot find name for user ID xxx"

Stephane OMNES stephane.omnes at aql.fr
Fri May 28 10:06:05 UTC 2004

Hi,

I'm in trouble with my linux box (kernel 2.4.21-4.EL) on which I use remote Ldap
authentication : When I logging in with a user ID registered in the LDAP
directory, I got the following message before getting a shell prompt : "Cannot
find name for user ID 780".
I'm well authenticated but it seems that the user ID cannot be retrieved in the
LDAP tree...
The "id" command on the machine says :
"uid=780 gid=100(users) groups=100(users)"
I have configured the system to use pam_ldap (in /etc/pam.d/system-auth) and I
have also configured the nss_ldap (in /etc/nsswitch.conf).
If I create a file system entry in my home directory, the system does not match
my user ID as well :
[ users]#  touch foo
[ users]# ll foo
-rw-rw----    1 780      users           0 May 28 15:20 foo

But, if I become root, I retrieve the user ID correctly as shown hereafter:
[ users]# su
Password:
[ users]# id
uid=0(root) gid=0(root) groups=0(root),1(bin),2(daemon),3(sys),6(disk),10(wheel)
[ users]# ll foo
-rw-rw----    1 user1    users           0 May 28 15:20 foo

Does anybody have an idee to help me on this problem?

I use the following ldap packages on my client box:
openldap-2.0.27-11
nss_ldap-207-2
openldap-clients-2.0.27-11
And I use the openldap-servers-2.0.27-11 package on the LDAP server.

Thanks in advance.
Regards.

The contents of this email and any attachments are
confidential. They are intended for the named recipient(s)
only.
system manager or the sender immediately and do not disclose
the contents to anyone or make copies.

* email scanned for viruses, vandals and malicious content *