Installed a DVD burner on RHL9, and now the machine reboots

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Fri May 28 13:00:42 UTC 2004

All,

We have a server currently running RHL 9 (We're planning on upgrading to
RHEL 3.0, but that's another story).  Anyway, the SCSI tape drive is dying
and since it's a relatively small server I figured I'd just use mondoarchive
to back it up to dvd instead.

I bought a LiteOn LDW-451S dvd burner and put it in.  I then modified the
kernel line to include the scsi emulation, so now it reads:
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-31.9smp)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-31.9smp ro root=LABEL=/ hda=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-31.9smp.img

I also installed dvdrecord-0.1.2-10 and dvd+rw-tools-5.11.4.6.4-1.  I had
been using mondo 1.64 to back up to tape, but since it didn't recognize dvd,
I upgraded to mondo 1.75.

the machine rebooted when it got to the point of burning the image to the
drive.  Then after reboot, I wanted to look at the dvd+rw-tools docs, so I
started vnc and tried to get into /usr/share/docs from nautilus.  vnc has
been rock-solid so far, but this time the machine rebooted again.

I have no idea what to do from here.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ben