Samba and DOS Client

Billy Davis bdavis at cds-corp.com
Tue May 4 14:34:02 UTC 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas Fortner
  To: Red Hat Support List
  Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 6:53 AM
  Subject: RE: Samba and DOS Client

  We have just installed Samba on RH 9 and it appeared
  to install properly.  When we attempt to login with:
      smbclient //myserver/myfolder
  we get a successful connection.

  We also have a DOS client on the same network,
  that is running LanMan.   At the DOS prompt, when we
  enter 'net', a window displays that has a 'browse' selection.
  When we select 'browse', we see a list of all users in the
  workgroup, including the Samba server.  However, when
  we select the Samba Server, we get this message:

  Error 53: The computer name sepcified in the network
      path cannot be located.

  The Server can successfully ping the DOS client, and the
  DOS client can successfully ping the Server.  The Server
  name and IP address were added to the DOS 'lmhosts'
  file, and the DOS client was added to the Server /etc/hosts
  file.

  We have a disk share named 'hostpc' set up on the Server,
  and the 'smbclient -L bigdog' command will display the share.

  On the DOS client, when we enter:
      net use G: \\bigdog\hostpc

  we get the same error 53 message.

  Attached is a copy of the smb.conf file.

  Can anyone tell us what we have missed in the setup?

  Thanks,
  BillyD

  Hi Billy,

  The DOS client needs an lmhosts file in the \LANMAN.DOS\NETWORK directory to find the server. This is assuming you are using Lan Manager DOS client 3.0 or older (the installation directory varies on the DOS client). The lmhosts file must be located with the protocol.ini and system.ini files for it to be used by LANMAN. Lan Manager can only use an lmhosts file or a WINS server to locate Lan Manager hosts.

  It's been years since I worked with the DOS client every day, but I think I got the directories correct. If you're working on a LANMAN boot disk, you'll need to put the lmhosts file in A:\NETWORK.

        Tom

        Thomas S. Fortner
        Burleson, Texas
        thomas.fortner at sbcglobal.net
        "but we preach Christ crucified..."  1 Corinthians 1:23

        Tom,

        Thanks for the reply.  We are using LanMan 2.1, and there is an lmhosts file in C:\NET, and it does contain an entry for the Samba Server.  When I 'ping bigdog',
        (the Samba Server) from the DOS client, it properly resolves and bigdog replies.  Is it possible that this is a firewall issue?  I have done nothing to the firewall for Samba.
        Our immediate problem is to replace an SCO server that is networked to a DOS client that accumulates real time data, 24/7.  Periodically, the SCO server reads all of
        the accumulated data from a shared directory on the DOS client.  SCO is using AFPS (Advanced file and print server) to communicate with the DOS client, and it has
        worked well for years.  But we wish to replace the SCO server with RH/Samba, and continue to use the original DOS client.

        Just as a test, I clicked on 'My Network Places' on a WinXP Pro Workstation on the same network with the DOS client.  I then clicked on 'View Workgroup Computers'
        and the Samba Server displayed in the group.  But, when I clicked on it, I got the following messsage (after a long pause):

                \\Bigdog is not accessable.  You might not have permission to use this network device.  Contact the administrator of this server to see if you have access
                permissions.

                The network path was not found.

        Everything sees everthing else, but I cannot logon or share directories.

        BillyD