Routing and bandwidth problem

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Wed May 5 13:47:32 UTC 2004

At 07:24 5/5/2004, you wrote:
>Aliasing multiple IP's to a nic works in mostt situations but keep in mind if
>they are regular nics, they are also sharing the nics budffer etc, so aside
>from the bandwidth on the cable, you share the nics resources.
>We have one server at work which until recently had 12 virtual IP's, but it
>only servered out medium traffic web sites.

An excellent point,  but in this case approximately 50 users will be using
this server, and 99% of their use will be passing traffic through it for
Internet access. 50 users and 512 Kbps of Internet bandwidth on a decent
machine (HP LPr with P3-500, 512MB, SCSI 9GB) should not stress a NIC.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com