Computer crashing

Stephen Kuhn skuhn at telpacific.com.au
Thu May 6 06:16:07 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 16:08, denniswj at iinet.net.au wrote:
> I have redhat 9 on my computer and have problems where every four hours, I have
> to reboot the computer otherwise it will lock up.When it does lock up there's
> continued activity withe hard drive.
>
> I do not have any other software only redhat text version no GUI and only use
> it for VOIP IRLP.Other users of the software have not indicated that there is a
> problem that may cause the leak.
>
> I have 128 megs RAM 40 GIG hard drive (new) with a 350mhz processor I am told
> by the
> Developers of the VOIP software that the 128 mb ram is far above whats needed to
> run software.
>
> Not being a full on linux i can only guess my suspicions.
>
> I suspect that it is a memory leak problem and can anyone suggest a fix for this
> problem.
>
> Thanks
>
> Dennis James
> Scone
> Australia

Every four hours is rather strange - are you able to telnet into the box
when it supposedly "locks up"? (or even ping it?)

I'll assume you've done a default installation (brown bag) and that
you've not tweaked any settings or anything - and should I assume you've
also checked through the system logs to see if there is anything
happening at those four hour intervals?

stephen kuhn - owner
illawarra computer services
a kuhn media australia company