OT: Need filter for dialysis (was Re: Help Request)

Steve steve at focb.co.nz
Fri May 7 01:19:39 UTC 2004

It should also be noted that requesting people ring numbers is also
commonly used by phishers looking to sucker people into parting with their
cash.

It is a common thing for people to setup phone numbers in o/seas
countries as "pay per minite" numbers (0900, 1-900 etc) and then attach a
cost of say, $10,000/min to the number, when some poor sucker rings it
trying to help (donate to fund a filter for a dialisis machine) the telco
passes the cost back to the persons local telco via interconnect charges,
hands the phisher $10k and the persons local telco adds it to the bill.
This is almost impossible to get reversed as well and the person trying to
"help" ends up being scammed.

This is extremely common.

NEVER EVER respond to these types of messages, there is NO REASON for
someone to request stuff like this and the chances are quite high (without
looking into it in depth) that a filter for a dialisis machine is NOT
expensive (they would have to be replaced reguarly and be considered a
consumable and priced accordingly) and if private health is too expensive
then they should investigate other options.

While it sounds harsh - please keep this trash off the mailing list, it
has no place here (directed to the original poster, not you Rodolfo :-) )

--
Steve.