how to use Redhat's glibc SRPMs?

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Fri May 7 13:35:21 UTC 2004

On Fri, 07 May 2004 10:50:23 +0000, ozgun erdogan wrote:

> hi -
>
> I'm running Fedora 1 (kernel 2.4.22) with gcc 3.3.2 on it. I downloaded the
> Redhat source RPM (glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8.src.rpm). I'm planning to compile from
> this source as I need to modify certain parts of glibc for experimental
> purposes. When I unpack the RPM, I get:
>
> glibc-2.3.2-20030312.tar.bz2
> glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2
> nptl-20030312.tar.bz2 and 39 patches.

Not true. You also get a ".spec" file which is used to build the binary
packages.

> I rarely use RPMs, and until now, I directly installed files without having
> to compile. I have two questions. Would the SRPM for Redhat 8.0 work fine on
> my Fedora? (it's the only one on Redhat's website).

Surely the src.rpms for Red Hat Linux 9 and other products can be
found on the server, too.

But if you don't know what to do with a src.rpm for Fedora Core 1, what
would change with a src.rpm for Red Hat Linux 8.0?

> What should I do with these 39 patches? How do I apply the patches? How do I
> use the files generated after untarring glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2? Any
> ideas or helpful links would be appreciated.

"man rpmbuild" for starters.