how to use Redhat's glibc SRPMs?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Fri May 7 14:53:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, 7 May 2004, ozgun erdogan wrote:

> hi -
>
> I'm running Fedora 1 (kernel 2.4.22) with gcc 3.3.2 on it. I downloaded the
> Redhat source RPM (glibc-2.3.2-4.80.8.src.rpm). I'm planning to compile from
> this source as I need to modify certain parts of glibc for experimental
> purposes. When I unpack the RPM, I get:
>
> glibc-2.3.2-20030312.tar.bz2
> glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2
> nptl-20030312.tar.bz2 and 39 patches.
>
> I rarely use RPMs, and until now, I directly installed files without having
> to compile. I have two questions. Would the SRPM for Redhat 8.0 work fine on
> my Fedora? (it's the only one on Redhat's website).

The Fedora SRPMs are available via the download link at fedora.redhat.com.
You'll need to learn how to install an SRPM, add patches and modify spec
files, and rebuild the RPMs.  See the docs at www.rpm.org.  Note that
modifying the system glibc can be dangerous.  If you replace the system
glibc and something breaks, you are SOL.  Your other alternative would be
to build directly from source and do static linking with your version of
the library.

> What should I do with these 39 patches? How do I apply the patches? How do I
> use the files generated after untarring glibc-redhat-20030312.tar.bz2? Any
> ideas or helpful links would be appreciated.

Read up on RPMs as above.  The RPM system is designed to take care of
applying patches, etc., under control of a spec file, but you will need to
learn how to make a spec file that does what you want.

Good luck.

> Thanks,
>
> Ozgun.

		Matthew Saltzman