autofs errors AS3 server Sun client

Jeffrey A. St. Pierre Jasp2 at Colorado.EDU
Wed May 12 16:59:58 UTC 2004

I run a fairly large server for a group of researchers at the
University of Colorado.  I have served most of my NFS Shares from
a Sun E450 running Solaris 8.  Recently we setup a
Penguincomputing Relion240 running RH AS3.  Attached to it is an
adaptec 29160 SCSI card attached to a Promise RM8000 RAID (1.5
TB).  This RAID is going to store all of our data to be nfs
shared out, but I have to move stuff piecemeal and I will have a
few nfs servers until I can centralize all data on the new
system.

I just moved the first major project over to the RAID and shared
it out.  The user of the project has to run Sun-compiled code, so
the data automounts on the Sun and the job runs, slowly, probably
due to NFS settings that I can tweak, but it runs.  The thing
that worries me is the errors that are filling up my
/var/log/messages on the Redhat Server:

May 12 09:04:03 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
                mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
May 12 09:04:03 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
                specified.
May 12 09:04:25 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
                mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
May 12 09:04:25 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
                specified.
May 12 09:04:47 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
                mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
May 12 09:04:47 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
                specified.
May 12 09:23:46 <servername> rpc.rquotad: Can't find filesystem
                mountpoint for directory /export/rd01/stack
May 12 09:23:46 <servername> rpc.rquotad: No correct mountpoint
                specified.

where <servername> is my Redhat AS Relion server

As you may have guessed "stack" is the name of the project.  It
automounts under /project/stack as per /etc/auto_master and
/etc/auto_proj.  These errors crop up continuously.  When he
actually runs code on the Sun client these messages spool every
15 seconds or so on my linux server.  Needless to say, by the
time I transfer 100 or so projects over to the RAID, my messages
file is going to overflow /var/log.

These are my settings on the linux server:

   rpms:
   kernel-smp-2.4.21-9.0.3.EL
   kernel-utils-2.4-8.37.1
   nfs-utils-1.0.6-7.EL
   autofs-3.1.7-41

   /etc/exports:
   /export/rd01 aaa.bbb.ccc.0/255.255.255.0(rw,async)
   ## Note: sync tried, results the same.

   where aaa.bbb.ccc.0 is my class C subnet

and my settings on the Sun client:

   kernel patch level:
   5.8 Generic_108528-27

   /etc/auto_master:

   # Master map for automounter
   #
   +auto_master
   #/net          -hosts          -nosuid
   /autohome      /etc/auto_home  -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
   /homes         /etc/auto_users -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
   /projects      /etc/auto_proj  -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
   /misc          /etc/auto_misc  -rw,bg,intr,soft,actimeo=0
   /-             /etc/auto_direct

   /etc/auto_proj (Abbreviated entry):

   # Home directory map for automounter
   # RCS: {$Id: auto_proj,v 1.161 2004/05/11 20:10:46 root Exp $}
   #
   +auto_proj
   stack    -rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192 \
            <servername>.Colorado.EDU:/export/rd01/&

So... does anyone see possible errors in my setup that would
cause these bizzare error messages?  This is very critical,
because I have to get things moved to the new server, but I can't
have a 50GB messages file in 1 day, and also it forbodes worse
things to come.  I'm assuming I just have something setup wrong.

Thanks,

Jeff