up2date problem?

Jeffrey A. St. Pierre Jasp2 at Colorado.EDU
Wed May 12 18:41:43 UTC 2004

> On Wed, 12 May 2004, glenn wrote:
>
> > Just installed a new RHEL AS3 server.  It won't complete
> up2date
> > now, even though it did when first run.  Fifty-some-odd
> packages
> > are downloaded, but install fails with this message:  "Package
> > mod_authz_ldap-0.22-3 is already installed."  True enough, but
> > this is the version included on the AS3 CDs from RedHat.  Why
> > would up2date try to install an earlier version, listed as
> 0.22?
> > And why would that prevent the other fifty packages from being
> > installed?  Should I put mod_authz_ldap in the list of updates
> > NOT to download, or might this screw up something else?
> > Thanks.   -Glenn.
>
> Glenn-
>
> Are you using 'up2date -Uvh' to try to install the already
> downloaded rpms, or are you rerunning up2date?
>
> -Jeff
>

> Jeff - I'm using "up2date --nox -u".  Normally this downloads
> current updates and installs them.   -Glenn.
>
> Glenn-

Glenn-

Try doing an 'up2date -p' to update your system profile at RHN.
Then run your command again.  If that fails try and 'up2date -uf'
to force the updates through ( I use this a fair bit with no ill
effects, but FYI some people might think it's not a good idea)

-Jeff