RHCE and OS discs?

Jason Dixon jason at dixongroup.net
Fri May 14 21:54:32 UTC 2004

On May 14, 2004, at 1:07 PM, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:07:15AM -0700, p p wrote:
>> Hi, Im going to be going for the RHCE exam later this summer. Ive got
>> book, but was wondering what level of the enterprise discs I'll need.
>> Im
>> assuming Id need more than the workstation version. Would the
>> rebuilds be
>> good enough, or are they too different from the RedHat versions?
>> Thanks to
>> anyone that can help.

[snip]

> I did a combination.  I've been running RHPW since last fall
> (September)
> and learned most of what needed updating from that.  That's my
> production server.  I then purchased a Dell PE400 to play on and beat
> silly with multiple installs, intentional breakage, etc.  On this guy,
> used a RHEL ES RHN subscription from my office (the system it was
> bought
> for in the office wasn't upgraded to RHEL yet).
>
> Next week I'll be doing the course and exam. I'll find out then if my
> strategy was successful or not...

Much of this is a good guide on how to prepare for the RHCE.  I'm a
little worried though, if you're just now starting your studies.  I
suggest that anyone striving for the RHCE seriously immerse themselves
in Red Hat Linux for a solid 6 months before attempting the exam.  I'm
not talking about running it as your desktop... I'm talking _serious_
work here;  installing servers, breaking/fixing servers, learning how
the various network services work and how to configure them for a
variety of scenarios.  Anything and everything you might use in an ISP,
webhosting, or back-office (mail/file-serving) environment.

Of course, you might already have years of experience on your belt and
are just now focusing on Red Hat.  :)

Good Luck!

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE