Routing and bandwidth problem

Crucificator crucificator at xnet.ro
Mon May 17 07:57:33 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 06:36 5/5/2004, you wrote:
>
>> From: "Crucificator" <crucificator at xnet.ro>
>> > why not use virtual adapters with ip's from different networks and use
>> > only one card?
>>
>> Because then you'd be sharing 100Mb between the four networks.
>> Rodolfo said
>> he wanted to give each client 100Mb connection to the router/server.
>> Still,
>> it's not a *bad* idea, perhaps using two dual-ip cards...
>

> I'm not hung up on everyone getting a 100 Mbps pipe to the server,
> since that particular capability would be used less frequently.
> Getting even 10 Mbps to each tenant would be just fine as far as
> bandwidth goes, so we're OK there.
>
> The reasons I had for thinking of separate cards were mostly related
> to the thought that security would be better by keeping each tenant
> totally separate, the odds of one tenant managing to get onto the
> other's network would be much lower by not connecting them to the same
> switch, and that I could assign different subnets to different tenants
> via DHCP and then clearly see where a problem is just by looking at
> the IP address. I had also assumed that limiting bandwidth per
> interface would be easier than doing it per IP address, but that's
> just a WAG.
>
> I don't see a way to do this with virtual IP addresses, especially the
> assigning different subnets via DHCP bit. I *am* open to suggestions,
> though... that's why I posted here. :-)

Why do you want to use DHCP? Why not use static IP's?

Connex scaneaza automat toate mesajele impotriva virusilor folosind RAV AntiVirus.
Connex automatically scans all messages for viruses using RAV AntiVirus.

Nota: RAV AntiVirus poate sa nu detecteze toti virusii noi sau toate variantele lor.
Pentru a inlatura efectele nedorite si din dorinta de a va oferi in permanenta servicii
de cea mai buna calitate mesajele detectate ca fiind infectate vor fi sterse automat .
Va rugam sa luati in considerare ca exista un risc de fiecare data cand deschideti
fisiere atasate si ca MobiFon nu este responsabila pentru nici un prejudiciu cauzat de
virusi.

Disclaimer: RAV Antivirus may not be able to detect all new viruses and variants. In
order to remove  unwanted effects and to continuously provide quality services all
infected e-mails will be automatically deleted .Please be aware that there is a risk
involved whenever opening e-mail attachments to your computer and that MobiFon is not
responsible for any damages caused by viruses.