xterm startup font command

keith morse kgmorse at mpcu.com
Tue May 18 05:22:19 UTC 2004

Mike Vanecek wrote:

>One can use ctrl-right_click to choose a font (or Shft_Key_+) to select a font
>when using xterm
>
>*fontMenu.Label:  VT Fonts
>*fontMenu*fontdefault*Label:    Default
>*fontMenu*font1*Label:  Unreadable
>*fontMenu*font6*Label:  Huge
>*VT100*font6:           10x20
>
>I have not been able to figure out from the doco the startup command to select
>one of these fonts upon starting xterm. Can anyone help?

Simply,

    xterm -fn 10x20

would do the one above.  This is another area where X and X-based apps
are seemingly infinitely adjustable.  I've experimented with the output
of xlsfonts as an argument to xterm, with quite varied results, but when
"xlsfonts | wc -l" returns 2184 entries you soon realize time is
limited.   I am somewhat fond of  schumacher-clean, though.

If this gets your juices flowing, research " X resources". Then you can
tweak to your hearts content.