Disk Performance - RH9 vs RHEL ES 3

Rigler, Steve SRigler at MarathonOil.com
Thu May 20 13:02:43 UTC 2004

We are in the process of configuring an EMC array on an RHEL ES 3
machine and are seeing disappointing performance especially when
considering a comparison to what we see from RH9.

The benchmarking tool we're using is Iozone (64K record size with
a 4G file).  The HBA's are QLogic 2300's (2gig).

On RHEL 3, we're using LVM to stripe across two luns and the write
rate is about 79MB/s, and read is about 110MB/s.  Without striping,
the write rate drops to about 45MB/s.

With RH9, writing to a single lun (no striping), the write performance
was about 160MB/s and read was about 100MB/s.  We haven't tried
striping across luns with RH9 (yet).

This has been confirmed at two sites, so I'm curious if anyone else
has seen this or has any tuning suggestions.

Thanks,
Steve
RHCE #803003335409754